I’ve made this a few times now and it’s definitely a hit in my kitchen. It’s inspired from a dish in the book “favourite mince recipes” here, which I have made various changes to.
I did originally used to make it with rice but I’ve recently decided rice isn’t my favourite thing and I’ve started replacing it with different carbs/replacements. Cauliflower works great in this dish as it absorbs the flavours much more efficiently than rice.
Ingredients- serves 2
150g-ish turkey mince
Half a carrot
2 sprinkles of crispy fried onions
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
Splash of sesame oil
1. Grate the cauliflower and place to one side
(Just in case you needed to be told how to grate something)
2. Fry the mince, onion and carrot in the oil. Once cooked remove any excess oil from the pan.
3. Meanwhile mix the tomato sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce together. Feel free to alter the amounts of each ingredient to suit your taste buds.
4. Add the cauliflower and frozen peas to the pan and stir to absorb the flavours. This needs about 2 mins max.
5. Add the sauce mixture and stir to combine. It takes a little while to properly mix the sauce in. I usually do this while frying my eggs (below).
6. Fry the eggs and serve on top of the cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle with the crispy fried onions and serve immediately.
Best served with some spring rolls you can just bung in the oven to cook while you’re cooking the main event.
I think this is a fabulous quick, tasty mid week meal which looks like you’ve put more effort in that you really have.
Let me know if you make anything similar with cauliflower rice.
Jessica x x x