As much as I love cooking with mince every so often I crave something a bit different with a more punchy flavour. That’s when I turn to sausages. I know you can buy sausage meat by itself but I prefer to buy sausages as they come in such a good variety of flavours.
In this recipe I used one of my favourite types – Lincolnshire sausages. Again its carb free using courgette and carrot noodles and because the boyfriend is currently suffering from the dreaded man flu I thought I’d spice it up with some of my very spicy dried chillies.
Here’s a pic:
And here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (serves 2)
400g can of cherry tomatoes in juice
2 small dried chilli’s
3 chestnut mushrooms
teaspoon of garlic and oil purée
sprinkle of thyme
Parmesan to garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spiralize the courgette and carrots like this.
2. Cut up the sausages into rough chunks (I used scissors for ease) and fry with the garlic puree.
3. Once browned add the roughly sliced onions, mushrooms and chopped chillies and keep stirring.
4. Pour in the can of tomatoes, half fill the can with water and add to the sauce with the thyme. Season to taste.
5. Add in the spiralized carrot and allow to soak in the flavour. Wait for the sauce to simmer and reduce until the sauce thickens.
6. Finally add in the courgette noodles and warm through. These don’t take long to cook so add them right at the end when you can’t bear to wait anymore for food.
7. Plate up and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
I usually use regular tinned chopped tomatoes but used these for a bit of added luxury. The tomatoes do pop and release flavour while you’re eating it which is fabulous. It was definitely a punchy spicy meal which hopefully has pushed all of those man flu organisms far far away.
What do you like to cook to fend off a cold?
Jessica x x x